Sunday, July 21, 2019

Simple, Easy-to-Follow Instructions:



Commit this to memory. You will be asked no questions. 

Not one person will evince even the mildest curiosity 

as to the nature of this exchange. 


This is not intended to arouse any suspicion on your part. 

You are to remain comatose. Any miscalculations will be rendered moot.

It's how we want it. You know, like the old days. 

When we were two 'young runts in love'. 

Back before we learned to forget to smile.


But that was then. And this is now. 

I'm just not sure I know why I want to continue 

to look ahead on why I can't seem to forget 

if I've mentioned this before.

 

But let's leave all that behind. And move ahead. 

Accompanied by that 'giant sucking sound', 

we will careen about with panache and pistols, 

knocking things over with not one iota of concern. 


But then you knew that. Even before I thought it. 

Even before my Uncle Joe learned to drive. 

Why should this surprise either of us? 

Because I said so. That's why. 

No argument. No debate. No nothing. Nada. Nil. Nyet. 

It's over. For real. Goodnight, Gummy... 




No comments:

Post a Comment